Saturday, December 4, 2010

A post in which I express my feelings about the world cup bid

I am an avid soccer player. I am seriously pursuing playing at a higher level and many people believe that I have the potential. So earlier this week I was looking forward to hearing the results of the bid for the 2018 and 2022 World Cups. I signed the petition for the bid in the USA and was really rooting for the US. I live in New York so I would have been able to go to the venues in New York to see the games and it would have been a great treat. I also believed that the US was going to win the bid.
At ten o'clock on thursday I run to computer during a break in my school day to check who won the bid and I saw that it was Qatar. I don't have anything against Qatar, but I really thought that the US was a better choice. Disappointed I went about my day as usual, not thinking about the world cup until during soccer practice. We were doing fitness and there was nothing else for me to think about, so my mind wandered to the world cup decision. I vaguely remember that my parents had been talking about a scandal that had taken place in regard to the World Cup bid and that a lot of money changed hands. I wondered if this even affected the outcome of the vote.
After thinking about this for a while, I realized how ridiculous this was. Soccer is just a game, I love it and many others do too, but people should vote on which country they think is the best fit for the game and that would properly express the worlds love for the game. Qatar can do that just as well as any other country, and even though I am not sure of how they won the bid, I am happy for their nation and look forward to that world cup nonetheless.

Ellie

No comments:

Post a Comment